Guinea-Bissau’s President Umaro Sissoco Embalo is facing a tough re-election bid on Sunday, as he seeks a second term amidst a deeply polarized political climate and concerns over the country’s role as a major transit point for cocaine from South America to Europe.
Embalo, a former army general, is being challenged by Fernando Dias, 47, of the Party for Social Renewal (PRS), who has drawn large crowds and promises to promote security and reconciliation.
The election is significant, as it marks the first time the African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC), which led the nationalist movement for independence from Portugal, will not be represented.
PAIGC’s former leader, Domingos Simoes Pereira, was disqualified after authorities said he filed his papers late, and has since thrown his support behind Dias.
Embalo’s legitimacy has been questioned by the opposition, who argue that his term officially expired in February.
The Supreme Court of Justice had previously said it would end in September. Critics accuse Embalo of undermining national institutions, and point to the country’s history of coups and instability.
The outcome of the election is uncertain, with provisional results expected to be announced within 48 hours.
Whoever wins will face significant challenges, including improving basic services, diversifying the economy, and addressing the country’s role in the cocaine trade.








