Nigeria’s chances of featuring at the 2026 FIFA World Cup appear increasingly slim, with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) shifting focus to future competitions following a fresh announcement on the Super Eagles’ plans.
On Friday, the NFF’s Director of Communication, Ademola Olajire, confirmed that the three-time African champions will participate in a Four-Nation Invitational Tournament in Amman, Jordan, during next month’s FIFA international window — the same period set aside for the final World Cup playoffs.
According to the federation, the mini-tournament will open on Friday, March 27, with Nigeria facing Iran at the 17,000-capacity Amman International Stadium. On the same day, hosts Jordan will meet Costa Rica at the 62,000-capacity King Abdullah Sports City Stadium. The second round of matches will take place on Tuesday, March 31, with Nigeria clashing with Jordan, while Costa Rica plays Iran. Organizers are expected to release the match schedule in the coming days.

The timing of the friendlies has raised eyebrows, as it coincides with the World Cup playoff window. Nigeria’s commitment to the tournament — without mentioning possible participation in the playoffs — signals a likely shift in focus away from the 2026 World Cup.
The NFF had filed a petition to FIFA following Nigeria’s penalty shootout loss to DR Congo in last November’s African playoffs. The federation questioned the eligibility of certain Congolese players, citing DR Congo’s domestic laws on dual citizenship and suggesting some players may have held European passports while representing the national team.
FIFA has yet to issue a ruling. Olajire clarified that reports claiming a decision had been made on February 16 were false. Similarly, Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, said the matter remains under review by FIFA’s independent disciplinary and ethics bodies.
“As far as FIFA is concerned, once a player holds a passport of their country, they are eligible,” Olajire said. “But our concern is that FIFA may have been misled. We are confident in our case, but we have put the World Cup behind us. Our focus is on rebuilding for the next competitions, including AFCON and WAFCON.”
With back-to-back World Cup absences in 2022 and likely 2026, Nigeria is now prioritizing preparation for future tournaments. The Jordan tournament is expected to serve as a platform for experimentation and squad development ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations.
While the legal challenge with FIFA continues, the Super Eagles appear ready to turn the page, aiming to build momentum for upcoming competitions rather than awaiting a late World Cup reprieve.








