Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Features
  • News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Info-data
  • Beautiful Cities
  • Discoveries
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Morocco King Releases Senegal Supporters Detained After AFCON Final Chaos

Babatunde Abdulraheem Lawal by Babatunde Abdulraheem Lawal
May 24, 2026
in News, Sports
0
Morocco King Releases Senegal Supporters Detained After AFCON Final Chaos
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Morocco’s King Mohammed VI has granted a royal pardon to Senegalese football supporters imprisoned following violence during the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final in Rabat.

According to a statement issued by the royal court on Saturday, the decision was taken on humanitarian grounds in recognition of the longstanding relationship between Morocco and Senegal and in celebration of the upcoming Eid al-Adha festivities.

Related posts

WTT Lagos: Lind And Hashimoto Eye Back-To-Back Titles

WTT Lagos: Lind And Hashimoto Eye Back-To-Back Titles

May 24, 2026
Mohamed Salah Set For Emotional Liverpool Farewell After Nine Years

Mohamed Salah Set For Emotional Liverpool Farewell After Nine Years

May 24, 2026

The statement said the pardon reflected the “age-old fraternal ties” shared by both countries.

The supporters were arrested after disturbances broke out during the AFCON final on January 18. The match, which Senegal initially won 1-0, descended into chaos after Morocco were awarded a stoppage-time penalty shortly after a Senegal goal had been ruled out.

The incident triggered unrest among some Senegalese supporters, with reports of attempts to invade the pitch and objects being thrown during the match.

In February, Moroccan courts sentenced 18 Senegalese supporters to prison terms ranging from three months to one year over their involvement in the violence.

Three supporters were released in April after completing their sentences, while 15 others remained in custody after receiving longer prison terms. The royal pardon is expected to cover the remaining detainees.

Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye welcomed the decision, expressing appreciation to the Moroccan monarch for what he described as an act of humanity and compassion.

“Our compatriots detained in Morocco following the incidents that occurred on the sidelines of the Africa Cup of Nations are free. They will soon be reunited with their loved ones,” Faye said.

The incidents during the final also attracted sanctions from the Confederation of African Football, which penalised both football federations over violations related to conduct and fair play.

The development comes amid continued legal proceedings over the outcome of the tournament, with Senegal having appealed CAF’s administrative decision regarding the competition to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Tags: afcon finalKing Mohammed VIMoroccosenegal
Previous Post

NIGERIA: Police, Hunters Rescue 12 Kidnap Victims In Ondo State

Next Post

Super Eagles Camp Opens In London As 14 Players Arrive For Unity Cup

Next Post
Super Eagles Camp Opens In London As 14 Players Arrive For Unity Cup

Super Eagles Camp Opens In London As 14 Players Arrive For Unity Cup

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RECOMMENDED NEWS

Nigeria: Akwa Ibom Governor Dissolves All Boards and Commissions

Nigeria: Akwa Ibom Governor Dissolves All Boards and Commissions

8 months ago
Kenya, Somalia Commit to Enhance Ties

Kenya, Somalia Commit to Enhance Ties

2 years ago
Morocco Heatwave Kills Over 20 in 24 Hours

Morocco Heatwave Kills Over 20 in 24 Hours

2 years ago
Rising Fuel Prices: NNPC Moves to Supply Foreign Crude to Dangote Refinery

Rising Fuel Prices: NNPC Moves to Supply Foreign Crude to Dangote Refinery

3 months ago

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Beautiful Cities
  • Business
  • Culture
  • Discoveries
  • Entertainment
  • Features
  • Info-Data
  • Lifestyle
  • National
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Uncategorized
  • Weather

POPULAR NEWS

  • BREAKING: Shawwal 1446 AH Crescent Sighted in Nigeria, Sunday is Eid-el-Fitr

    BREAKING: Shawwal 1446 AH Crescent Sighted in Nigeria, Sunday is Eid-el-Fitr

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria: (VIDEO) Protesters Storm Lagos Assembly with Banners Reading ‘We Don’t Have a Place to Live’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria: (VIDEO) Popular ‘The New Masquerade Actress’ Ovularia Dies at 81

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Finding the Right Balance Between Product-Led Growth and Project Delivery – Ese Onogoro

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • EXCLUSIVE: Nigeria High Commission in London Faces Backlash Over Use of Redeemed Churches for Passport Exercise

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers

© 2023 AAN TV - All rights reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Features
  • News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Info-data
  • Beautiful Cities
  • Discoveries

© 2023 AAN TV - All rights reserved.