Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Features
  • News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Info-data
  • Beautiful Cities
  • Discoveries
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Nigeria Prepares For Jordan Invitational as World Cup 2026 Hopes Fade

Babatunde Abdulraheem Lawal by Babatunde Abdulraheem Lawal
February 22, 2026
in News
0
Nigeria Prepares For Jordan Invitational as World Cup 2026 Hopes Fade
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Nigeria’s chances of featuring at the 2026 FIFA World Cup appear increasingly slim, with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) shifting focus to future competitions following a fresh announcement on the Super Eagles’ plans.

On Friday, the NFF’s Director of Communication, Ademola Olajire, confirmed that the three-time African champions will participate in a Four-Nation Invitational Tournament in Amman, Jordan, during next month’s FIFA international window — the same period set aside for the final World Cup playoffs.

Related posts

Nigerian Fashion Designer Shot Dead in New York Nightclub

Nigerian Fashion Designer Shot Dead in New York Nightclub

February 22, 2026
Dangote to Expand Partnership With NNPC and Offer Shares to Nigerians

Dangote to Expand Partnership With NNPC and Offer Shares to Nigerians

February 22, 2026

According to the federation, the mini-tournament will open on Friday, March 27, with Nigeria facing Iran at the 17,000-capacity Amman International Stadium. On the same day, hosts Jordan will meet Costa Rica at the 62,000-capacity King Abdullah Sports City Stadium. The second round of matches will take place on Tuesday, March 31, with Nigeria clashing with Jordan, while Costa Rica plays Iran. Organizers are expected to release the match schedule in the coming days.

The timing of the friendlies has raised eyebrows, as it coincides with the World Cup playoff window. Nigeria’s commitment to the tournament — without mentioning possible participation in the playoffs — signals a likely shift in focus away from the 2026 World Cup.

The NFF had filed a petition to FIFA following Nigeria’s penalty shootout loss to DR Congo in last November’s African playoffs. The federation questioned the eligibility of certain Congolese players, citing DR Congo’s domestic laws on dual citizenship and suggesting some players may have held European passports while representing the national team.

FIFA has yet to issue a ruling. Olajire clarified that reports claiming a decision had been made on February 16 were false. Similarly, Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, said the matter remains under review by FIFA’s independent disciplinary and ethics bodies.

“As far as FIFA is concerned, once a player holds a passport of their country, they are eligible,” Olajire said. “But our concern is that FIFA may have been misled. We are confident in our case, but we have put the World Cup behind us. Our focus is on rebuilding for the next competitions, including AFCON and WAFCON.”

With back-to-back World Cup absences in 2022 and likely 2026, Nigeria is now prioritizing preparation for future tournaments. The Jordan tournament is expected to serve as a platform for experimentation and squad development ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations.

While the legal challenge with FIFA continues, the Super Eagles appear ready to turn the page, aiming to build momentum for upcoming competitions rather than awaiting a late World Cup reprieve.

Tags: 2026 FIFA World CupCosta RicaIranJordanNigeria
Previous Post

Esperance Tunis Appoints Patrice Beaumelle As New Head Coach

Next Post

Ademola Lookman Scores as Atlético Madrid Beat Espanyol 4-2

Next Post
Ademola Lookman Scores as Atlético Madrid Beat Espanyol 4-2

Ademola Lookman Scores as Atlético Madrid Beat Espanyol 4-2

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RECOMMENDED NEWS

NIGERIA : LT Col. Onyechi Anele Resumes Duty as First Female Army Spokesperson

NIGERIA : LT Col. Onyechi Anele Resumes Duty as First Female Army Spokesperson

10 months ago
Nigeria: Three Feared Dead in Lagos Tanker Accident

Nigeria: Three Feared Dead in Lagos Tanker Accident

1 year ago
NIGERIA: Okoronkwo Stars as Super Falcons Defeat Tunisia 3-0

NIGERIA: Okoronkwo Stars as Super Falcons Defeat Tunisia 3-0

8 months ago
Former Tunisian Prime Minister Sentenced to 34 Years in Prison

Former Tunisian Prime Minister Sentenced to 34 Years in Prison

10 months ago

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Beautiful Cities
  • Business
  • Culture
  • Discoveries
  • Entertainment
  • Features
  • Info-Data
  • Lifestyle
  • National
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Uncategorized
  • Weather

POPULAR NEWS

  • BREAKING: Shawwal 1446 AH Crescent Sighted in Nigeria, Sunday is Eid-el-Fitr

    BREAKING: Shawwal 1446 AH Crescent Sighted in Nigeria, Sunday is Eid-el-Fitr

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria: (VIDEO) Protesters Storm Lagos Assembly with Banners Reading ‘We Don’t Have a Place to Live’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria: (VIDEO) Popular ‘The New Masquerade Actress’ Ovularia Dies at 81

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Finding the Right Balance Between Product-Led Growth and Project Delivery – Ese Onogoro

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • EXCLUSIVE: Nigeria High Commission in London Faces Backlash Over Use of Redeemed Churches for Passport Exercise

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers

© 2023 AAN TV - All rights reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Features
  • News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Info-data
  • Beautiful Cities
  • Discoveries

© 2023 AAN TV - All rights reserved.