The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has announced significant gains in ongoing counterterrorism operations carried out in collaboration with the United States Africa Command, saying joint strikes in North East Nigeria have eliminated 175 terrorists linked to ISIS.
In a statement on Monday, the DHQ said the coordinated operations, which began a few days ago, have targeted insurgent positions, resulting in the destruction of checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain terrorist activities.

The military said intelligence assessments as of May 19, 2026, confirmed that 175 ISIS fighters had been killed in the ongoing strikes.
According to the DHQ, several high-ranking commanders were also neutralised, including Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as a key figure in ISIS external operations responsible for financing, recruitment, logistics, and attack planning. His death, the military said, represents a major setback to the group’s global operational capacity.
Other militants reportedly killed include Abd-al Wahhab, an ISWAP senior leader involved in attack coordination and propaganda dissemination, Abu Musa al-Mangawi, and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, a senior media operations figure within the group.

The DHQ added that the operations have significantly disrupted the command structure and external attack networks of ISIS and its affiliate, the ISWAP.
It reaffirmed that the Armed Forces of Nigeria, working with international partners, will continue to pursue and eliminate terrorist elements threatening national security and regional stability.
“The joint operations will continue to hunt down and destroy those who threaten our nation and regional stability,” the statement added.
The announcement was signed by Major General Samaila Uba, Director of Defence Information.








