Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced a support package for Ghanaian citizens being evacuated from South Africa following recent xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals.
In a public notice on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, the ministry said returnees would receive a “Welcome Home Financial Package,” transportation assistance to their hometowns, and a “Re-integration Allowance” to aid resettlement.
The government also said evacuees would get free psychosocial support to address trauma from the attacks, and would be added to a database for jobs and startup opportunities to help rebuild livelihoods.
The ministry stated the measures aim to ease reintegration and help citizens recover from the impact of the displacement. “We value and cherish all our citizens,” the statement read.
Earlier in May, Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said President John Mahama had approved the evacuation of 300 Ghanaians who registered with the High Commission in Pretoria after registering for assistance amid security concerns.
The announcement comes amid renewed reports of xenophobic violence in parts of South Africa affecting immigrants from several African countries.








