Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The incident reportedly triggered an exchange of gunfire between the suspected attackers and the governor’s security personnel, causing panic among residents and traders in the area.
The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall, where he had met with the monarch.
Adeleke had earlier visited the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo to receive his Certificate of Return following his re-election. He subsequently proceeded to the Ataoja’s palace in a convoy of about 20 vehicles.

An eyewitness said the governor was received by the monarch, who reportedly offered prayers at the end of the meeting.
According to the eyewitness, Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit used by the monarch and his wives and was inside his vehicle with some aides when gunshots were heard.
The attackers were said to have arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo before opening fire.

The eyewitness said the governor’s security personnel responded to the attack, leading to a gun battle that lasted several minutes before the assailants fled the area.
A trader operating near the palace said the attackers may have been aware of the governor’s visit and had waited for his arrival.
She alleged that the assailants damaged the palace’s main gate and exchanged gunfire with security personnel before retreating towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The incident reportedly caused panic in the area, with traders and residents abandoning their businesses and seeking shelter as the shooting continued.
The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack. Alimi described the attackers as hoodlums and said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled them.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.
As of about 4:45pm, sporadic gunshots were reportedly still being heard around the area, while some business owners had closed their shops and left the vicinity over fears of further violence. No casualty was reported in the incident.








