Friday, August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Features
  • News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Info-data
  • Beautiful Cities
  • Discoveries
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Djibouti Football Federation Faces Allegations Over Misuse of FIFA Funds

Babatunde Abdulraheem Lawal by Babatunde Abdulraheem Lawal
August 21, 2026
in Sports
0
Djibouti Football Federation Faces Allegations Over Misuse of FIFA Funds
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Djibouti Football Federation has come under scrutiny after a government audit accused the body of favouritism and inadequate competitive bidding in the management of funds provided for football development.

The allegations have sparked anger among footballers and clubs in the tiny Horn of Africa nation, with one club manager threatening to boycott the upcoming league season unless the federation’s leadership is changed.

Related posts

BASKETBALL: D’Tigers of Nigeria Unveil Final Squad For FIBA World Cup Qualifiers

BASKETBALL: D’Tigers of Nigeria Unveil Final Squad For FIBA World Cup Qualifiers

August 19, 2026
Questions Remain Over Patrick Vieira’s Deal Amid Senegal Uncertainty

Questions Remain Over Patrick Vieira’s Deal Amid Senegal Uncertainty

August 19, 2026

The controversy stems from a 2024 report by a government inspector, recently obtained by AFP, which accused the federation of favouritism in awarding a contract for the construction of its headquarters and alleged that several components of the project were overpriced.

The federation receives more than $1 million annually from FIFA and the Confederation of African Football (CAF), making the international bodies its major sources of funding.

Funds provided by Saudi Arabia for the construction of the federation’s new headquarters have also reportedly been questioned.

“The resources of the Djibouti federation are not used for the development of football,” an unnamed local club manager told AFP.

“When I see what Cape Verde is capable of achieving, I tell myself there is a structural problem within our federation,” he added.

The concerns come after Cape Verde made history by reaching the knockout stage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, highlighting the potential of smaller African football nations when supported by effective organisation and development structures.

FIFA did not respond to AFP’s requests for comment on the allegations.

Mohamed Elmi Farah, a member of the Djibouti federation’s executive committee, resigned on August 12, citing concerns over the management and use of the organisation’s resources. He also did not respond to AFP’s questions.

However, federation president Souleiman Hassan Waberi rejected allegations of financial wrongdoing, saying the organisation had been cleared by FIFA.

“FIFA has officially confirmed to us that, to date, its monitoring mechanisms have revealed no indication of wrongdoing regarding the funds it disbursed,” Waberi, who also sits on the FIFA Council as a CAF representative, told AFP.

Waberi, however, acknowledged shortcomings in the federation’s competitive bidding processes for some operations.

He attributed the issues to the limited availability of certain goods and services in Djibouti, a country with a population of about one million, but said procurement procedures had since been improved.

The Djibouti government did not respond to AFP’s enquiries regarding the audit findings.

The allegations have intensified concerns over the management of football resources in the country, which ranks 124th out of 182 countries on Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index.

Djibouti has struggled to make a significant impact on the international football stage, despite substantial financial support from FIFA and CAF for the development of the sport.

Tags: DjiboutiFIFA
Previous Post

Nigeria: FG Declares Tuesday, August 25 Public Holiday for Eid-ul-Mawlid

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RECOMMENDED NEWS

WHO Says Africa’s Ivory Coast Reports Cases of Mpox Clade 2

WHO Says Africa’s Ivory Coast Reports Cases of Mpox Clade 2

2 years ago
Video Circulates of Nigerian Man Executing Three Youths Over Alleged Gun Theft

Video Circulates of Nigerian Man Executing Three Youths Over Alleged Gun Theft

12 months ago
Azerbaijan and Ethiopia Strengthen Agricultural Ties

Azerbaijan and Ethiopia Strengthen Agricultural Ties

1 year ago
NIGERIA : Eric Chelle Names First Provisional Squad for World Cup Qualifiers

NIGERIA : Eric Chelle Names First Provisional Squad for World Cup Qualifiers

1 year ago

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Beautiful Cities
  • Business
  • Culture
  • Discoveries
  • Entertainment
  • Features
  • Info-Data
  • Lifestyle
  • National
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Uncategorized
  • Weather

POPULAR NEWS

  • BREAKING: Shawwal 1446 AH Crescent Sighted in Nigeria, Sunday is Eid-el-Fitr

    BREAKING: Shawwal 1446 AH Crescent Sighted in Nigeria, Sunday is Eid-el-Fitr

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria: (VIDEO) Protesters Storm Lagos Assembly with Banners Reading ‘We Don’t Have a Place to Live’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria: (VIDEO) Popular ‘The New Masquerade Actress’ Ovularia Dies at 81

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Finding the Right Balance Between Product-Led Growth and Project Delivery – Ese Onogoro

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • EXCLUSIVE: Nigeria High Commission in London Faces Backlash Over Use of Redeemed Churches for Passport Exercise

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers

© 2023 AAN TV - All rights reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Features
  • News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Info-data
  • Beautiful Cities
  • Discoveries

© 2023 AAN TV - All rights reserved.