A 20-year-old man has been charged in connection with the death of Dr Fortune Gomo, a 39-year-old scientist who was found seriously injured on South Road in Dundee on Saturday. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Following a post-mortem examination, Police Scotland confirmed on Monday that the death is being treated as murder. The suspect is expected to appear before Dundee Sheriff Court later today.
Dr Gomo, who was originally from Zimbabwe, was a respected academic and professional. She previously studied and worked at the University of Dundee as a PhD student and postdoctoral research assistant in geography. In her most recent role, she was employed by Scottish Water as a senior service planner in water resource planning.
Prof Nigel Seaton, interim principal and vice-chancellor of the University of Dundee, described the news as “truly shocking” and said the entire university community is mourning her loss.
“Her death following an alleged attack in South Road, Dundee, is a tragic event for our city and university,” Prof Seaton said. “Fortune was thriving in her career. Our thoughts are with her family, friends, and colleagues during this devastating time.”
He added that the university’s Chaplaincy Centre would be open to offer support to students and staff affected by her death. Tributes have continued to pour in, with many expressing heartbreak and disbelief. Angela Machonesa, a former classmate from Zimbabwe, described Dr Gomo on Facebook as a compassionate and intelligent woman.
“Her brilliance in the classroom was only matched by her emotional intelligence. She was the person you’d go to for clarity — not just of mind, but of heart,” she wrote. “We are heartbroken and angry. But we are also united in one voice: Fortune Gomo mattered. Her life mattered. Her legacy must never be forgotten.”
Police Scotland said investigations are ongoing. Detective Superintendent Peter Sharp, who is leading the case, extended condolences to Dr Gomo’s family and assured the public that there is no wider threat.
“My thoughts remain with Fortune’s loved ones at this incredibly difficult time,” he said. “They are being supported by specialist officers. We continue to follow a number of lines of inquiry.”
He also addressed speculation on social media and urged the public not to conclude as the investigation unfolds. “There will be a visible police presence in the area. Anyone with concerns or information is encouraged to speak with our officers.”
On Sunday, a woman was seen laying flowers near the scene of the incident, draped in a scarf featuring the colours of the Zimbabwean flag, a quiet tribute to a life lost far from home.