Hundreds of activists and opposition supporters filled the streets of Tunis on Thursday to protest President Kais Saied, demanding he leave office and that democracy be restored.
The demonstration, one of the largest in months, focused on what protesters called “one-man rule” and a “slide toward dictatorship.” Marchers also called for the immediate release of jailed opposition leaders, journalists and civil society figures.
It comes as Tunisia faces deepening economic pressure. Protesters carried signs criticizing cuts to freedoms while pointing to shortages of basic goods and medicines, failing public services, and recent power and water outages in several regions.
“Enough of the failure, enough of the injustice and enough of the absurdity. The country is experiencing a complete collapse,” activist Wissem Sghaier told Reuters.
The protest echoes a similar rally held last month on the anniversary of July 25, 2021. That day, Saied dismissed the government, dissolved the elected parliament, and began ruling by decree. He later dissolved the Supreme Judicial Council and fired dozens of judges, saying the move was part of an anti-corruption drive. Rights groups condemned it as an attack on judicial independence.
Thursday’s turnout does not signal an immediate change in power, but analysts say it shows opponents can still mobilize despite divisions. It also reflects how frustration is moving beyond politics and into daily life, with recent protests over water, electricity and the environment reported in other parts of the country.
Rights organizations accuse Saied’s administration of a wide crackdown targeting opponents, independent groups and the media, and of using the courts and security forces to silence dissent.
Saied rejects the accusations. He says he is upholding the law and going after people suspected of financial corruption or plotting against the state.








