Liberia has agreed to take in up to 1,200 people deported by the United States over the next 12 months, marking one of Washington’s largest third-country arrangements as it expands its immigration enforcement.
The first group of 20 is expected to arrive on Thursday. According to Information Minister Jerolinmek Piah, the arrivals will be free to leave when they choose and may apply for asylum in Liberia.
Piah stressed that none of the individuals are criminals or facing charges in either country. He described them as “guests” being received under Liberia’s long history of offering refuge.
“Liberia has always welcomed people who cannot return to their country of origin,” Piah said. He pointed to the nation’s founding in the 1800s by freed African-American and Caribbean slaves as part of that tradition.
He also said Liberia did not ask for and will not receive any payment for participating. However, the US will provide support to help Liberia manage the program and strengthen its broader migration system.
It remains unclear what nationalities the deportees are, or whether any have legal protection that prevents them from returning home.
Since January 2025, the Trump administration has sent dozens of people to “third countries” it cannot deport directly. Several African nations have signed similar deals, including Ghana, Sierra Leone, Equatorial Guinea, Eswatini and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Rights groups have criticized the practice as lacking transparency, and some cases have led to legal challenges. In Eswatini, officials confirmed last year they received $5.1m from the US for accepting deportees. Two people sent there recently later chose to return to Mauritania and DR Congo.
The US State Department has not publicly commented on Liberia’s deal.








