Authorities in the Central African Republic have ordered the immediate closure of an informal gold mine in Zamboye after a tunnel collapse killed at least 49 people this week.
Mines Minister Rufin Benam Beltoungou announced on Wednesday that operations at the site near the Cameroonian border would be formally suspended until further notice. He said Tuesday’s disaster claimed 35 Central Africans, 12 Cameroonians and two Chadians.
The death toll remains uncertain. A prosecutor said rescue work was still ongoing and casualty figures were being updated. A senior official from a local mining association had earlier reported more than 100 dead.
Artisanal mining supports millions across Africa, but sites like Zamboye often operate with little oversight, poor safety standards and almost no emergency response. That makes cave-ins and other accidents common.
Cameroon, which shares the border with CAR, has said it plans to bring parts of the informal sector under formal regulation to improve safety and tax collection.








